Thursday, July 1, 2010

Need

Listen. If ever you loved someone young and idealistic, listen, and be still for their sake. Hold these words, this plea, softly in your calloused palm as a tribute to the first awakenings of a calling, the stirrings of an obsession, a need. When your life seems to have nestled into a comfortable, warm nest, remember the moments when it danced and fluttered within you like a small, scared bird—so ready to fly, so filled with an inner urge to soar, but so instinctively afraid of the fall. Remember, and hear my aching voice.

I have a dream. I have a dream that would take flight on fragile, untried wings. I have a dream that would send me soaring into crystalline blue, soft with the dust of clouds. Will you listen to this, the sound of my heart within my chest?

I dream of a world where I can be spent, utterly and completely. I dream of a world where I can be needed, and can give myself fully over to that need until there is no room left for my own self to need. Can you give this to me?

I dream of a world where I can be brave, and can be calm in the face of danger. I dream of a world where I can be a hero, and save lives. I dream of a world where I can weep helplessly, knowing I did everything in my power and still failed to heal the unfixable. I dream of a world where I may spend my life to give others their own. Can you take me there?

I wish nothing more than to save you. Will you let me do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment